The classic 'Eurocentric' trajectory assumes that the basis of modern science is strictly European, and neglects that many other cultures had their own scientific developments independent of western colonialism. An early fact I found really interesting was that to Aristotle, Egypt was the centre for mathematics. Reflecting on this, it follows that Egypt, Mesopotamia, and other civilizations of the area had their own development of mathematics. How could, as an obvious example, it be that the pyramids were made? Or, for that matter, how could any of the complex feats of building, architecture and engineering without a solid understanding of mathematics. I also found the alternative trajectories for the dark ages fascinating. In my view, the renaissance was about europe's rediscovery of what was lost from the greek times. Unfortunately none of the credit was given to China, India, and the Hellenistic world.
This reading also piqued my curiosity in Mayan astronomy, and that their knowledge with rudimentary tools surpassed europe's at the time. Integrating mathematics and astronomy would be something I'm very keen to continue to explore. In particular, I'd like to explore if there are recorded examples of indigenous astronomy, and how the study of geometry or gravity can be connected to cultural learnings.
No comments:
Post a Comment